Hi there everyone…I would like to share one of my painting’s processes with all of you.
So let’s start!
1. Concept: I was just thinking to draw something wild, adventurous…so came up with the idea of kissing lovers in the air, was laughing on my own idea so this is the first doodle I made.
2. Drawing & Composition: It’s time draw details…the dress code of the lovers, their vehicles & the city structure. If you are wondering about those sinister buildings then it’s intentional..yes, to show the bravery of the lover, I just wanted to add more drama in the whole composition, it also depicts that these two lovers are so passionate about each other that they don’t really care about the consequences of their Kiss.
Since I wanted to show something Futuristic yet ancient (sounds silly I know!) to make it more clear, I would like to say more about the culture I was looking for…
this city is somewhere above the sky and they are living there from ages… I tried to show more organic feel, like it’s made with natural stuff. Check out the overlay building’s roof.
As u can see, I’ve added few elements (Overlay) to add more depth. I wasn’t sure about the colour scheme till this moment.
3. Colour scheme: Since its going to be an ancient fantasy…I thought about Golden Yellow scheme.
So I created a new layer and filled Golden Yellow and tried the blending mode options. It’s a great option to achieve harmony in the artwork. Sometimes you can get lots of unexpected and beautiful effects
through this feature. I think most of the people are already aware about that. So as u can see here the look and feel is changed due to the blending mode adjustment. Now I started adding details in overall composition.
Sometimes I don’t follow the ideal process and work on different area at the same time. To show the depth of field, I made the foreground elements blurry
using Gaussian Blur filter. So I suggest working with lots of layers, so that we can tweak each layer separately without spoiling the whole artwork.
4. Background: Background was almost merging with the characters…so added light pink colour on a separate layer to add more depth in the background. So the character will come out.
5. I think we should take a break and see the same work once again after some period of time. After looking at this artwork after few days, I realized that the composition was too tight for the subject.
So I made few changes… minimized the character’s sizes and flipped entire canvas.
It was looking better than before…then started working on the details. I chose Calligraphic Brushes…these Brushes are great for painterly look & feel.
6. Final details and tweaks: I’ve used smooth edge brush around the character to avoid those sharp edges…added clouds and light in the sky. Hope u enjoyed the making. Click the last image to view the final bigger image.